SCQF Level 5
Build the fundamental skills required to pursue further training or employment in the wide-ranging business sector.
Why take this course?
This course allows those interested in progressing to further studies at HN or university level - or those interested in pursuing employment through a Modern Apprenticeship - the opportunity to undertake an enhancement course to introduce them to some of the key business concepts required for working in a business environment.
The course consists of two National Progression Awards, one delivered each year on a 2 year rolling programme. Pupils who successfully complete both NPA’s will get the opportunity to achieve the full National Certificate (NC) group award.
What you will experience
Throughout the course you will work towards the following National Progression awards, comprised of the following units:
Year 1 – Business with Information Technology
- Skills for Customer Care
- Market Operations and the Scottish Economy
- PC Passport: IT Software – Word Processing and Presenting Information
- PC Passport: Internet and Online Communication
- PC Passport: IT Software – Spreadsheets and Database
- IT Solutions for Administrators
Year 2 – Business and Marketing
- Management of Marketing and Operations
- Marketing: Basic Principles
- Management of People and Finance
- Understanding Business
- Event Organisation
- Market Research Practice
You will experience a variety of teaching methods within the classroom environment, delivered either at a local school or on one of the College’s campuses. You will be expected to demonstrate/develop the following essential skills for the workplace:
- An interest in progressing to employment in a Business setting
- Good time keeping skills;
- A genuine commitment to learning and self-study;
- Planning and preparation skills;
- Problem solving skills;
- An ability to establish/maintain good working relationships with others.
Assessment will take the form of classroom-based activities and assessments. There is no final examination.
This course is suited to pupils who have achieved one or two National 5 level passes in related subject areas.
What you need to know
Whilst you are taking part in the course you will be required to:
- Always be ready to start your class at the given time;
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning and self-study;
- Adhere to the School Pupils Code of Commitment.
Eating and drinking are not permitted in classrooms. Drinking water is available from water dispensers in the corridors within the College buildings.
At North East Scotland College
Upon successful completion of this course, you may be able to progress to one of the following full-time courses at North East Scotland College:
Those with the qualifications to do so may choose to apply for further study at university level.
If you wish to progress directly towards employment after completing your course, you will find a range of entry-level jobs available in a wide variety of different business environments.
For more information about job opportunities, salaries and employment rates in this industry, visit the Career Coach website.
Please note that course are subject to minimum viability levels. In the event of insufficient numbers of applications, courses may be withdrawn from the programme. Certain courses are arranged with schools working in a consortium arrangement – in such cases, pupils from consortium schools will be given priority in the allocation of places.