The College has a number of options in place when it comes to assisting students with the costs of childcare.

Help with costs of childcare

Lone Parents Childcare Grant

The Lone Parents Childcare Grant (LPCG) element entitles students to a payment of up to £1,215 per year to all eligible further and higher education students who are lone parents and formal registered childcare expenses whilst studying. The LPCG is not income assessed.

Discretionary Childcare Funds

The College receives funding to assist FE and HE students with registered childcare costs. The Discretionary Childcare Fund is means tested on the household income. Students should be aware that the College may not cover the full costs towards childcare costs. Any outstanding amount is the student’s responsibility.

Students with household income less than £37,000 may be eligible for assistance. The following shows what percentage of childcare costs you may receive as a childcare allowance based on your household income.

Household Income / Childcare Allowance
£0 – £22,000               100%
£22,001 – £27,000      80%
£27,001 – £32,000      60%
£32,001 – £34,000      40%
£34,001 – £37,000      20%


Receive help towards childcare costs from the:

  • The Lone Parents Childcare Grant (LPCG)
  • The Discretionary Childcare Funds

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Meeting the required residence conditions
  • Be enrolled as a full-time or part-time student
  • Be in receipt of funding from appropriate funding body
  • Be on a fundable course
  • Must be past compulsory school leaving age
  • Be able to demonstrate financial hardship and difficulty with meeting childcare costs
  • Receiving Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits
£1215* Extra help towards childcare for lone parents (*up to)

HE students must also meet the following criteria:

  • Taken full loan entitlement
  • Students not having fee support paid for by SAAS will not be eligible for support from the Discretionary Child­care Fund
  • Lone parents must have claimed the Lone Parent Grant from SAAS

Finding a registered childcare provider

For further information on registered providers in your area, please contact your local Childcare Information Services. Details of family information services and other important services can be found on the Scottish Childcare website.

Aberdeen City Family Information Service
Telephone: 01224 764803

Aberdeenshire Family Information Service
Telephone: 0800 298 3330

For reports on registered providers including inspection reports, visit the Scottish Care Inspectorate website.

For information on Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit please contact HM Revenue & Customs:

HM Revenue & Customs
Telephone: 0345 300 3900

There are a number of different funding options available, depending on which course you choose to study.

Our Student Advice Centres are your one-stop-shop for all information and support during your time at NESCol.

Our friendly and experienced student advisers offer appointments and drop-in sessions, as well as group sessions and workshops.

Find all contact details for all North East Scotland College campuses and learning centres.